St. Joseph’ Institute of management is recognised by the Bharathidasan University from the academic year 2011-12 to carry out research leading to Ph. D .There are Ten Ph. D holders among the faculty members, of which five of them are recognised research guides. More than 20 research scholars both full time and part time pursue their research in management leading to Ph. D under the guidance of JIM faculty. The unique feature of the research wing of the institute is that the scholars get their progress monitored and reported on a regular basis. Once in a semester the scholars are made to compulsorily give a presentation of their progress in group and get prospective and perspective suggestions to enhance their research work. People with real research thrust and thirst are encouraged to meet the guides and get counselled. The institute is seeking approval from the university to conduct full time and part time M.Phil. from the forth coming academic year.
Ph. D GUIDELINES
- Selection of Candidate by the guides has to be done with the intimation to the Chair -Research and Publications.
- Copy of the Recognition of guides is to be submitted to the Chair Research and Publications
- Constitution of DRC members
- The Chair Research and Publications will be the Coordinator of DRC.
- The Recognised Research guides shall be the members of the DRCs
- Any Candidate desiring of doing Research should submit a proposal of 500 words to the DRC through the proposed guide.
- DRC will conduct a common eligibility written test comprising objective type questions for 75marks and oral interview for 25 marks.
- The Signatories in the DRC minutes will be the Coordinator, the respective guide and the Principal.
- DRC minutes should include:
- i) The results of the eligibility test. ii) The selected topic is not a repetition of any earlier research works
iii) The allocation of the guide to the candidate
- Copy of the Provisional Registration letter to be submitted to the Chair Research and Publications on receiving the same from the university.
- Provisionally Registered Full time candidates should not engage in any Remunerative employment.
- The Payment of fee should be done within one month from the provisional Registration intimation.
- Every Research Scholar being part of the Institution should partake in all the common programs held in JIM.
- All the Research Scholars are also considered as Teaching/Research Assistants.
- Every Research Scholar is expected to publish one research article every semester.
- The Full timers should sign regularly on all the working days in the Research Scholars Attendance Register of the Institute between 9.30am to 10.00am until the submission of the synopsis.
- The Part timers are expected to be present in the campus for a minimum of 3 working days in every month to a minimum of 30 days in an academic year, in connection with that an annual schedule approved by the respective guide has to be submitted to the Chair Research and Publications. They should sign the Attendance Register accordingly
- In case of conversion of full time to part time or part time to full time the scholar should inform and submit employment/Non employment certificate to the Chair Research and Publications through the guide.
- Every Scholar who takes up Primary and/or secondary data collection from other Universities/Libraries/Institutes should submit a letter forwarded by the guide to the Chair Research and Publications.
- Course Work
- All the candidates shall undergo Course Work after provisional registration in the first year.
- One of the courses prescribed is Research Methodology which is common to all. Those who have done M. Phil degree are exempted from this paper.
iii. The two other courses should be related to your core area of research.
- Each Course Work exam must have 4 credits.
- The course work should be completed before 1 and a half years. Failure to complete the coursework with in the stipulated period shall entail automatic cancellation of the registration
- The course will be evaluated for an internal assessment of 40 % and final examination of 60%. Each Course Work, The question paper consist of 8 questions out of which 5 questions is to be answered.
vii. The Course work has to be approved by the Doctoral Committee members within 3months from the date of provisional registration where a copy must be submitted to the University with the signature of the Principal and to the Chair Research and Publications.
viii. The Course Work examination will be conducted by the chair based on the proposal of the guide.
- The Research guide will set the questions and evaluate the answer scripts and report the result to the University along with the syllabus, question paper and answer papers through the Chair Research and Publication.
- Doctoral Committee
- The DC suggested by the guide within 6 months from the date of provisional registration and approved by the University be made known to the Chair Research and Publication.
- The DC meetings are to be organised in consultation with the Chair Research and publications annually until the submission of the synopsis presentation for every candidate where the Annual progress report will be presented by the candidate and the same be submitted to the University.
iii. The request for the sitting fees of the DC members shall be forwarded by the Chair Research and publications to the administrator.
- Submission of Reports
- Half yearly Report for every 6 months has to be submitted to the University from the date of provisional registration of the candidate countersigned by the convenor of the Doctoral Committee (guide).
- One and half year progress report has to be presented before the DC and the minutes of the meeting has to be sent to the University for title conformation , countersigned by the DC and the principal along with the copies of the progress report and course work mark statement.
- Every Scholar should defend the proposed research title before the DC is convened for the purpose.
- There will be regular Research Review meetings organised by the Chair Research and publications as per the scheduled dates in the calendar (once in every semester).
- Every Scholar is expected to attend all the Review meetings without fail.
- Two successive absences in the review meetings entail voluntary cancellation of the Registration.
iii. The presentation cycle will take place in the order of seniority of registration.
- Every scholar is expected to be present throughout the review session.
- Review presentation should include the action taken on the suggestions of the previous presentation along with the presentation on the progress.
- The attendance will be taken in every review meetings.
- The timeline scheduled is to be prepared in consultation with the guide be presented to the Director, JIM through the Chair Research and Publication for approval.
- Pre synopsis presentation has to be done in the DRC. All the Research Scholars are to be present. Attendance will be registered. The Synopsis presentation and the Public viva-voce date, time and venue is fixed with the consultation of the Chair Research and Publication and the approval of the director.
Note: Copy of the Every Communication sent to the university / received from the university be submitted to the Chair Research and Publication and also should be maintained in the scholar’s file in JIM.
The institute runs a Peer reviewed and refereed Bi- annual Research journal namely JIM Journal of Management. JIM welcomes original, empirical and scholarly articles to be published in the journal.